Monday, August 20, 2012

"P" is for "Project"

Almost one month ago, Evelyn and I moved to our new apartment. Each day since then has been a lesson in how to make our home to look and feel the way we like while managing other responsibilities simultaneously.

I realized the best way to tackle our tiny space is to take it one room/area at a time. So far, the greatest challenge has been balancing a fun, comfortable space that reflects my taste with the efficiency demanded of a single parent home.

I'm working from the front of the apartment to the back. The entryway has quickly become my favorite space. It has to serve as our dining area, and it has quickly become my "office." I've included photos of this area and some others from the "Girl Cave."


It's never really this tidy, but picture taking demanded that I temporarily shift the clutter to the coffee table. The hanging "candle chandeliers" are held up with fishing wire so they appear to be floating. My mom bought them for my bedroom when I was 13, and I've always loved them. When the candles are lit, they reflect beautiful patterns on the walls.


These "New Yorker" cover prints are from a street vendor in NYC.


The flowers are a Hobby Lobby selection. I saw a blend of reds, hot pinks and a touch of light blue in a magazine and loved the combination. It compliments our red couch well.


Our pet fish, "Bonbon." He has a place close to the front door, making him our guard betta.


Evelyn's library is quite pleasant to look at, though the books are usually scattered all over the floor.


Evie's "play zone" in the living room. It spans an entire wall but adds a whimsical feel to the room. Since we share a bedroom, her toys have to be right out front. I have plans to paint the little wood table a robin's egg blue.


Flowers even shroud the TV. This is an all-girl apartment, after all (minus the fish).



These shelves in the kitchen were a torturous endeavor. I got innumerable lessons in nail sizes and functions. Lining them up on perfectly on the wall brought forth a whole new level of neuroses for me.


I actually like our stove area. I painted the blue glass canister and hung the little white shelf. The espresso percolator is a rescue from a family friend's Goodwill pile. A little baking soda and vinegar made it an ecclectic (and usable!) piece.


Few things could make me as happy as my coffee counter first thing in the morning. I store coffee in an apothecary jar and use a repurposed formula scoop to measure it out.


Evelyn's hiding spot. Whenever it feel "too quiet," I can lean over to see her tucked between the couch and the bookshelf admiring the covers of her books.


I had to include a gratuitous shot of my current sweet indulgence. Nestle Break n' Bake mini cookies with Reese's Pieces smooshed in before they hit the oven. Yum!

I'm hoping to show off more of our apartment soon. I have big plans for making the bedroom a perfect balance between adult function and child fantasy. The living room may be a lost cause as far as decor, but it sees a lot of wear throughout the day. One step at a time!

3 comments:

  1. I love this! There's nothing quite like having your own space the way you like it :)
    Congats, Kellie and Evie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I am going to be sharing a small space with my child soon. I like what you have done with your apartment! Ps your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! I am going to be sharing a small space with my child soon. I like what you have done with your apartment! Ps your daughter is adorable!

    ReplyDelete