Monday, July 25, 2011

A Humble Existence

For the last three weeks, I've been enjoying every moment with Baby Evelyn. After constantly worrying I was going to break her for a while, I've finally settled into some manner of a routine with my sweet little girl. However, as I'm sure any new parent will tell you, this child has a lot of tricks up her tiny sleeve.

In recent days, Evelyn has decided to repeatedly fooling me into thinking it's a good time to change her diaper, only to immediately soil the fresh one I put on her. I know you may be thinking, yes, Kellie, babies poop in their diapers. And I understand that. But Evie will make a mess in a fresh one before I can even fasten it shut.

I pull off the messy one, thoroughly wipe her down, slide the clean diaper under her hiney, and then, there it is- the telltale bubbling noise that means I acted a little too soon. At least those messes actually make it into a diaper...

Evelyn loves her bath time. She reclines in her little tub while I scrub her down and pour warm water over her belly and just relaxes. But perhaps she is a little too relaxed...

One morning last week, I had just finished giving Evie a bath and she was sitting calmly in the warm water, ready for me to wrap her up in a fluffy, hooded towel. I turned around to grab the towel when I heard it- the sound of a quick flurry of bubbles under the water. Yes, ladies and gentlemen. The baby pooped in the tub. Moments before I was going to put a clean diaper on her freshly-scrubbed behind, she muddied the water.


In a comedic chain of events, I plucked my naked little cherub out of the tub, yelled for Roy to come help me, and ran her backside under the faucet before handing her over to Daddy. Evelyn was no worse for the wear.


Aside from the poopy incidents, Evelyn has peed on me twice and spilled countless mouthfulls of breastmilk all over me. And yet, despite her messiness, I wouldn't change one second of the whole experience thus far.


True, my laundry hamper is full of clothes covered in mysterious substances and my garbage can is overflowing with diapers, but that's what I signed up for, right? Right.

No comments:

Post a Comment