Friday, August 26, 2011

Black Friday's

I have always considered Louisville, Kentucky to be my home base. Despite the fact that I've mainly lived in Lexington for the last three years, Louisville was still home. Though the Derby City will always be my beloved hometown, I feel as though I have truly adopted Lexington as my base of operations, the place I will call home for the forseeable future. I'll admit, that was quite a shock to my system for a few days.

Psh. That was nothing.

Today I left Evelyn for the longest stretch of time since she was born. I had to. For my job.

I remember when she was only about a week old and I left her for 20 minutes to go walk on a treadmill in the gym at my mom's apartment complex. Those minutes felt like an eternity. I wish I had known then what I know now.

When I left for work today at 4, I didn't even know how long I would be gone. To garner an income as quickly as possible, I took a job as a waitress at a nearby T.G.I. Friday's, and since today commenced my training, I didn't even know how long I would be gone.

As I walked out of my apartment clad in the standard-issue Friday's polo shirt and some hideous non-slip black shoes, I felt sadness and anticipation all at once. I was excited to start working with some new people and ready to be a part of the working adult world for a while. But at the same time, I found myself clinging to a very clear mental picture of my sweet baby girl napping in my arms.

After about two hours of working, I could be found slumped against the bar waiting for a drink with a melancholy expression on my face. When someone asked me if I was ok, I replied without hesitation, "I miss my baby!"

Having been gone for over five hours, I returned home and found my little angel just as I left her- painfully cute and frustrating all at the same time. She hadn't changed while I wasn't looking, much to my relief.

After a quick change of attire so my little family wouldn't have to smell the medium-well steaks and shrimp skewers that permeated my clothes, I settled on the couch with Evelyn nestled in my left arm, Roy next to me glued to his laptop and a bowl of victory fettucine in front of me.

Yes, I hate leaving my daughter. Yes, I hate taking people's orders with a dumb grin on my face when all I can think about is her face. Yes, I thought I was going to have a stroke when another baby cried in the restaurant and I looked around for Evie.

Despite all those things, however, having a job is rewarding, and those moments I spent on the couch after I got home were the best moments I can recall since I relocated to Lexington. And honestly, who wouldn't want to come home to that?

No comments:

Post a Comment