Saturday, August 20, 2011

New Beginnings

I've been neglecting my blog lately. First, allow me to apologize. Second, let me make excuses.

Six days ago, Roy and I moved into our new Lexington apartment with Evelyn, and the following days have been a haze of organized chaos. Getting settled in a new place with a six-week-old baby is...challenging.

Sunday- Moving Day
We woke up early, came to Lexington and commenced the unpacking process. With help from a few friends, we got everything in the new place only to stare at the massive heaps of crap that two people and a baby have accumulated.

The first room I went to work on was Evelyn's naturally. Note: She spends MAYBE an hour per day in her room, but all of her stuff is so cute I couldn't resist.

That night, filthy and exhausted, all we wanted was a shower and a drink to celebrate. Two things were missing: 1. The rings to hang the shower curtain. 2. Corkscrew. While Roy watched the baby, I made a trip to the dollar store, which doesn't, believe it or not, sell corkscrews. That required a separate trip to Walgreens. Later, we discovered that our original shower rings had been stuffed inside a cookie jar in our kitchen, and the wine bottle had a twist-off cap. Oh, cruel irony.

Thursday- Epic Haircut
After contemplating a new 'do for a week or so, I impulsively decided to go chop off a lot of my hair. This, however, was not the most significant part of the day. What matters is that doing so required me to leave Evie with a babysitter who was not her father for approximately three hours.

After a cosmetology student who was so young she still had braces lobbed off six inches of my hair, I raced back to my precious baby. (I go to the Paul Mitchell School for my haircuts. They're way cheaper and I'm all about supporting education.) You know the old saying, "Absence makes the heart grow fonder?" It's true. As fond as my heart is for my baby, I think I needed those few hours to do something for myself and not constantly be listening for her pitiful little squeals.

Friday- Job Hunting
After making daily trips for food and other necessary items, we concluded it was time to focus on getting some revenue flowing into this household. Since Roy is a second-year law student, that meant I had to put on my big girl pants and some high heels to tackle the ol' rat race.

For several hours, I scoured the city for any job that pays American dollars. By the end of the afternoon, I was feeling defeated and tired, but made one last stop. Thank goodness I did because they hired me on the spot. Let's just say you may find me bringing you your dinner someday...

So here I sit- in my new apartment with my new haircut and new job, contentedly glancing over at my new baby snoozing on the couch. All in all, I can't complain. Roy and I are discovering new quirks about each other every day. For instance, he can't understand why I put peanut butter on crackers only to lick it off, and I recently found out that when confronted with a lack of dresser space, he elected to stash his t-shirts in the desk drawers.

Tasks for the upcoming days:
1. Preparing to leave my baby for hours on end to go work.
2. Get Evelyn to sleep in her crib and not right next to me.
3. Memorize a menu.
4. Loads and loads of laundry.
5. Starting Monday, I'm going to eat healthier and take Evie for more walks to get back in shape. Pregnancy really takes it out of you.
6. Pumping lots of milk for baby to have while I'm working.

The only question I'm still asking myself is this: How did I grow up so fast?!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Y'all have been busy!!! I've been thinking about you lately!!! You have a lot on your plate now but sounds like you're handling it beautifully! Congratulations on all of the exciting changes! I can't wait to hear more about you and your sweet little family! :-)

    ReplyDelete