Sunday, October 16, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

Today was my very last day of work at TGI Friday's. On my way home, I had a feeling that I believe is most comparable to the way Dorothy must have felt when it was time for her to leave Oz. I went around the restaurant and said my goodbyes, feeling sad but relieved at the same time. The whole experience was summed up by the word "bittersweet."

You may be thinking, "Kellie. Get a grip. It was a waitressing job."

But that's where you would be wrong. That job was my foray back into the adult world after giving birth only a few months ago. I started working there when Evelyn was 7 weeks old, and since then it has allowed me to interact with adults and feel as if I'm good for more than breastfeeding.

Leaving Evelyn for each work shift was always a challenge, but I consistently felt tremendous joy every time I walked back through the front door, feet aching and skin stinking of steaks, when I got to see my daughter's chubby face once again.

I think parenting demands breaks. You have to go out into the world and away from your child for periods of time to retain sanity. I respect anyone who bears the moniker "full-time parent" because I fear I would permanently speak in baby talk if I did.

Aside from the mental stability permitted by working a job, the people I called co-workers have evolved into fantastic friends. I can say with all honesty that I will miss every single one of them. I already miss listening to their stories, laughing at their jokes and sharing their aggravation at a bad tip. If any of them read this, I hope they know I feel very happy to have met them. Like Dorothy, however, I hope that I'm not leaving them behind entirely so much as I'm waking up from the dream that was my time in Lexington. I'm confident they'll continue to be my friends even if I no longer see them as scarecrows or tinmen, aka co-workers.

So here I sit, wondering what to do with my Friday's polo shirt and apron, ready to turn the page onto the next chapter. Evelyn and I are moving back to Louisville in one week, and in the meantime I'm going to search for a new job. I just hope I get to trade in my black, non-slip shoes for some ruby slippers in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment