Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Empire State of Mind

Last week was my very last Spring Break ever. (Cue the pouty face.) I am formally exhausted, but I can honestly say I had a fantastic time with my little girl in my belly. We went to the Big Apple!

Mom and I left for New York very early on Friday morning. When she woke me up at 5:15 a.m., I only had a minute or two to stretch out and open my eyes before baby started kicking like mad, as if to say "Good morning, mom! When's breakfast?"

Our flight left at 7:24, and even though I was prepared to swell up like a float at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, I didn't think nausea would be a problem. Boy was I wrong. As soon as the plane started moving, I felt a horrible wave of what felt like first trimester morning sickness. I spent the entire two-hour flight adjusting the air conditioning and clutching a vomit bag like it was a security blanket.

Safely on the ground, Mom and I checked into our hotel room and spent the day roaming Manhattan. We went to sleep completely exhausted every night, crashed in our fluffy Grand Hyatt beds.

A trip to New York isn't complete without a few purchases, and I'm especially pleased with my acquisitions from this vacation:

From my favorite Asian novelty store in SoHo, I got a dozen different colored butterflies made of feathers to hang above the baby's crib. I had been contemplating making my own mobile for quite some times, and when I saw the butterflies, they seemed like a great idea. Here's what they look like:Usually when I go to New York, I come back with an assortment of impractical items. This time, I wanted something I would be able to enjoy for a long time to come. I decided to put together a small coffee mug collection- one from the Anthropologie at Rockefeller Center, one from Bloomingdale's on the Upper East Side, one from Pearl River in SoHo, and one from the Dean and Deluca on Broadway. These are my favorite stores to visit in New York, and I'm savoring the idea of sipping coffee from each unique mug when I can have caffeine again. This is the one from Anthropologie:
My only other purchase for myself was a $10 purse from a tiny marketplace just off the street north of SoHo. I rationalized the purchase like this: 1) It's a long shoulder bag that will stay on even when I'm carrying a baby around. 2) If it gets a hole in the bottom or the baby spits up on it, I won't care because it was cheap.

Mom got me some beautiful white rose-shaped knobs from Anthropologie to replace the ugly ones on the crib. This may seem like a bizarre New York purchase, but believe me when I say it's important. She also got the baby's very first stuffed animal, an undefinable pink, blue and purple striped creature made out of socks. Finally, she picked up a gray wife beater and black karate pants from American Apparel for my daughter. I can't wait to see her dressed up as a little hoodrat.

Now that I'm back in Lexington, I know the tail end of the semester is going to fly by. I got a rude awakening yesterday afternoon when I realized I only have one week left in my second trimester, and then we're rounding third. Now is the time to finalize my registry and organize a baby shower, among many other things. The pressure is most certainly on. I was feeling some especially painful pangs of stress last night, which were only alleviated when I felt my little girl hiccuping in my belly.

Sometimes I just have to remind myself that the world keeps turning, and in the meantime, I can look forward to sipping coffee from a mug that gives it just the slightest taste of a spring break well spent.

No comments:

Post a Comment