Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Pushing My Buttons

I haven't paid this much attention to my belly button since I begged my parents to let me get it pierced when I was 16.

Sometimes I can't tell how much my belly has grown in the last week, but I found a surefire barometer in my otherwise unimportant navel. If I look at it in the mirror, I can see how stretched out it has gotten. Sometimes you can even catch me bent over trying to get a good look at it up close. Every week, it pulls wider in harmony with my growing midsection.

In the last month, I've seen the greatest amount of development since my pregnancy began. Belly growth is definitely exponential. You see almost nothing for months, and then all of a sudden, that little baby is taking up more space and energy than you thought possible for an unborn human.

I can't speak for all mothers, but the halfway point marked a lot of changes for me. I stopped looking just a little chubby around the middle and started to scream "pregnant" to anyone who notices. I started feeling kicks around 20 weeks as well.

More fun changes? Bone stretching. Yeah, I said it. My bones are stretching apart.

I always knew I never developed "childbirthing" hips during the zillion years I spent going through puberty. Let's be honest- I kept a pre-puberty body well past the age of 20. Who knew it would take pregnancy to make me look like an actual woman? Unfortunately, I'm now suffering through the growing pains I never had as a teenager.

I have no problem letting my body do what it needs to do for this baby. But damn, feeling my pelvic bones expand is unpleasant. Last week, I thought I was bruised in the space where my hips meet my back. Not a speck of purple to be found. That spot is just baby girl's latest acquisition in her quest to dominate my figure.

Lots of body parts change during pregnancy: belly button, hips, bones, back, butt, boobs, feet... What do they have in common? They get bigger, and all of them hurt.

Except the belly button. It just looks silly.

No comments:

Post a Comment