Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Once Upon a Time...

In the grand scheme of the human race, I'm not very interesting. Countless people have come before me and carried out lives that make mine look extremely watered down. Nonetheless, I have a story, and a surprising number of people ask me about the dynamics leading up to my pregnancy. So I apologize if this is an especially dull blog post, but these are some noteworthy facets of my life story:

My mom told me for years that I learn everything the hard way. I used to think she said that because I was a rebellious teenager. I sneaked out of the house on school nights, got my first tattoo a month after turning 18, sat in detention every week and disregarded authority whenever I could. Some people might say I was a handful. Roy will tell you that I'm still a handful. I would use words like "headstrong" or "willful," but I probably am, in fact, a handful.

Photo, left: This is a picture of me circa Fall, 2007.
I'm breaking lots of school rules here. I had my cell phone out, I was chewing gum, and my shirt was untucked.

Photo, right: This is me at a high school soccer game. I had just gotten busted earlier that day for sneaking out of the house the night before.

I never wanted to go to college in Kentucky. I was born and raised in Louisville, and throughout high school I mused about getting away from the Bluegrass state. Fall of 2007 meant it was time to send out college applications. I had been looking at schools in Missouri, South Carolina, Illinois, Wisconsin and Georgia- anywhere but Kentucky.

Then, like an idiot, I fell for the classic trap. I entered my first serious relationship months before turning 18 and thought I was set for life. I didn't want to be away from my boyfriend even if it did mean surrendering my college ambitions. I sent out five applications, and the furthest school from home was in Indiana. He dumped me by Thanksgiving, and so I chose to enroll at UK with my tail between my legs.

By the spring of my senior year, I was newly infatuated. My then-boyfriend was going to school for a two-year degree, and I couldn't imagine being stuck in college twice and long as he would be. So before I even made it to my freshman orientation, I firmly decided that I would finish college in three years. Naturally, that relationship ended as well, but I was still on the three-year plan.

The average college student changes his or her major at least once, and many spend a year as "undecided." I knew from the very start that I wanted to major in journalism. Even though my friends and family wanted me to focus on broadcast, I stuck with my true love (writing) and opted for print classes.

In January of last year, I received an email from a well-spoken yet palpably sarcastic copy editor at the school newspaper, the Kentucky Kernel. I had written for the paper before, but this particular individual was looking to assemble a copy editing team. The idea of editing other people's stories intrigued me, so I responded to this "Roy York."

We were a couple by Valentine's Day. We endured our share of scandal at the paper. There's nothing like a newsroom romance to get people talking. Roy quit the paper before the end of the semester, and I only showed up to do the work required of me and nothing else. I spent the summer hopping between Louisville and Lexington to balance my job and love life.

Photo: Me and Roy at King's Island last summer. We had just left the water park and were completely exhausted. I drove back to Louisville that night to be at work the next day.

Our relationship went under just before Labor Day, but we continued dating for months amid our unwavering hostility. We were both floored when we discovered my pregnancy halfway through November. It's amazing how a baby can make you reevaluate your life and focus on what matters.

Photo: I was barely pregnant when this photo was taken and I had no idea. Hardly mother material.

In the same vein that I believe I learn everything the hard way, I'm beginning to think that everything really does happen for a reason. If I hadn't made certain decisions in years past, I wouldn't have gone to UK and met Roy, and I wouldn't be expecting a baby. I also wouldn't be graduating early just two months before my due date. I don't regret the pieces of my story that brought me to where I am.

If someone had told me back in my rebellious high school days that in three years I would be in a relationship and expecting a baby with a law student at UK, I wouldn't have believed it. Life works in mysterious ways, and I can't even fathom where I'll be three more years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment