Sunday, April 3, 2011

Body Language

Pregnancy is a full-body experience. Sure, your midsection swells, but what about all the other body parts? Expecting a baby can mean you need to pay attention to things that used to not matter so much. Now that I've got almost six months of experience under my enlarged belt, I'm going to share some of my personal recommendations.

Mane Event
One of the first things I noticed at the start of my pregnancy was the change to my hair. First of all, it grows like crabgrass. I completely gave up on maintaining my roots because they would show up so quickly. (Unfortunately, now I've got dark brown hair with blonde roots.) Second, the texture changes. I've had thin, stringy hair my entire life, and now it's essentially doubled in thickness.

Because you can expect your hair to take on a new appearance, I strongly suggest giving it a break from any chemical treatments you might otherwise frequent. The new texture can mean it will react differently to dyeing or other processes. Use a mild shampoo that gets your hair clean. Don't worry about smelling like a candy store or a rose garden. Just get it clean. Heavy scents can weigh down your lustrous locks and annoy your hyper-sensitive sense of smell.

Raw Hide
While you're getting squeaky clean, may I suggest that you also use a gentle soap? Fancy body washes with shiny little beads in them named after exotic locales don't really jive with mamas-to-be. Stick with something classic and simple, like Dove, Ivory or Dial. I'm a big fan of Ivory. It leaves my skin feeling clean, not dried-out, and it's cheap, (my favorite).

As for shaving your legs, all I can offer is a sincere "good luck." Believe me when I say that you just won't care as much, and it can be frustrating trying to reach your ankles over that big belly.

Keep your body moisturized with a lotion that includes cocoa butter. Your skin is being stretched out like taffy through the pull, so be kind to it. Apply liberal amounts of lotion to your belly and chest areas- they're enduring the brunt of the work. Call me crass, but I also suggest slathering some lotion on your derrière. I'm personally enjoying the curves I never used to have on my backside, but I've heard some horror stories about ruined hineys and I am not about to jump on that bandwagon.

Saving Face
You know that "glowing" appearance synonymous with pregnancy? Don't get too excited. That stereotype is the result of increased blood flow throughout the body, which can make your cheeks light up a little more, and a massive influx of oil. Lovely, right?

The same rules for allover body care also apply to your face. Nothing fancy, just get it clean. That extra oil can make you break out like a 13-year-old. To get you through the day, I suggest toting around some oil blotting sheets and/or face powder. If you're in a bind, baby powder also works quite well. "Glowing" means skirting a fine line between appearing radiant like a pearl and shiny like Crisco inside a baking pan.

One other word of advice: waterproof mascara. Those raging hormones can bring you to tears when you least expect it, and no one looks good with charcoal stripes running down their face.

Happy Feet
I believe I speak for maternal feet everywhere when I say tread lightly. Heels look nice on any woman, but something a little softer is far more rewarding. I have a great collection of beautiful flats, but I've been sidelining them as of late in favor of my more comfortable, ugly shoes. I wore fur-lined moccasins all winter, and I have no regrets. Now that warm weather has rolled around, I'm all about flip-flops. If you are too, wear thick ones that don't let your feet get too close to the ground. I've been wearing the same old pair of Rainbows for years now, but they keep my tired soles from feeling the texture underfoot and they're molded to the right shape.

As a final word, be good to the bones all over your body. They're under intense amounts of stress and strain from carrying around extra weight and possibly expanding to make room for the little one. If you can, sit in chairs with backs on them. Benches and bleachers become uncomfortable after about 30 seconds, so try to sit on something that gives you a cushion, even if it means taking off your sweatshirt and resting your tush on it.


Embrace the changes to your body. Pregnancy is fleeting and in no time at all, that belly is replaced by a writhing little person who doesn't care if your hair is greasy or your back aches. Take the time to have pride in your appearance. Motherhood is a tough job and you deserve to feel good about yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment