Sunday, April 3, 2011

Weekenders

After a week of sniffling, coughing and shuffling to the bathroom like a zombie, this weekend was a much-needed reprieve. I started feeling better just in time to enjoy a few days of fun.

Friday, Roy and I went to the super cheap theater in Lexington to see "True Grit." We're both avid frequenters of Redbox, Netflix and the discount rental place near campus, but there's something fun about making a night of it. I made a bag of popcorn at home before we left and stuffed it into my purse. I also filled up a water bottle and put a flavor packet of peach tea in there once we were seated in the dark theater. I've never been one to pay their prices for snacks, so I just shove mine way down in my giant purse. Told you I was cheap.

Saturday brought with it the NCAA Final Four game all of Lexington has been waiting for- UK vs. UConn. We met up with friends at a bar/restaurant in the afternoon. Since I couldn't down a few beers like everyone else, I opted to help myself to the limitless bread and butter that kept appearing on the table and a healthy portion of edamame.

Roy's not a big fan of crowds, and I get easily frustrated with drunks, so instead of staying there for the game, we made a quick stop at the grocery for game time food and headed home. We cheered for UK when the players did well and sat in silence for a moment when they lost. I'll admit I had a hard time staying calm throughout the game, but I had to keep my cool. I went nuts during their game against Ohio State and had a bunch of Braxton-Hicks contractions that night. Woops.

I woke up this morning to beautiful weather, perfect for shooting my BB gun at beer bottles while snacking on Cinnamon Toast Crunch. While Roy napped, I did homework and blogged. Much to my delight, we went to Gattitown for dinner, where I always eat way too much. We took note of all the small children there- some screaming, some squirming, and some with a fulfilled food-coma look on their chubby faces.

When a toddler nearby refused to stop crying, we looked at each other with resignation and agreed, "Our baby won't do that."

This weekend made me appreciate the little time we have left before this baby makes her entrance. Even though I can't wait to meet her and spend as much time with her as I can, it was nice to have a reminder that there's a fun world out there that has nothing to do with picking out onesies or researching breastfeeding techniques.

Sometimes I forget that even though I'm a mother-to-be, I'm still only 21 years old. If I want to yell at the TV during a basketball game or stand behind 8-year-olds in line at a pizza buffet, there's nothing wrong with that.

1 comment:

  1. "I woke up this morning to beautiful weather, perfect for shooting my BB gun at beer bottles while snacking on Cinnamon Toast Crunch. While Roy napped, I did homework and blogged."
    "If I want to yell at the TV during a basketball game or stand behind 8-year-olds in line at a pizza buffet, there's nothing wrong with that."

    You are my hero.

    ReplyDelete