Wednesday, May 18, 2011

In the Child's Breast Interest

I'm consistently amazed by what the human body is capable of, and the breasts are no exception. Call them whatever you want- boobs, knockers, ta-tas- (I recently heard a British woman call them jublies, so that's my new favorite) but they're pretty impressive.

I remember shopping for training bras at Dillard's with my mom circa fifth grade. If you walked into the locker room to change for gym class without one of those pitiful contraptions made of paper-thin cotton and elastic, being an 11-year-old just wasn't the same. For exactly one decade now, breasts have been a part of my life, and I'm surprised to say I'm just as enthralled by them now as I was when they barely existed.

Over the months, a lot of people asked me how I found out I was pregnant. To put it frankly, my jublies were killing me for a few weeks and I just knew something was off. That's the big story. Select individuals also like to ask whether or not I plan to breastfeed.

Though modern literature will tell you "breast is best," nursing wasn't always in vogue. My grandparents' generation saw a decrease in breastfeeding because it just wasn't popular. These days, it's all about the boobs. You can get nursing shirts that allow you to feed the little one in public sans wardrobe malfunctions and breast pumps that let you continue using both hands while it sucks you dry.

When I consider breastfeeding, I can't help but wonder if I'm old-fashioned. I plan to nurse as best as I can, but I won't be strapping myself into any kind of machine like a dairy cow. For the same reason I don't have an iPhone, I won't be using an electric breast pump. Just because certain technologies exist doesn't mean I have to feel obligated to use them. Still, my baby registry includes several nursing-related items, including a cover-up, manual pump, and breastmilk storage bottles.

I'm also taking a 2-hour class at the hospital next week to learn how to breastfeed. Every book I've read says not to be fooled- it's not the most natural thing in the world. I'm going into it with the same approach that I learn how to use new versions of Microsoft Office. Despite how user-friendly it seems to be, I really don't want to be confused when it comes time to complete a task.

In spite of the complex opinions and accoutrements surroundings the boobs, they bottom line is that they're fascinating. I've always hated the term "fun bags," and I'll never think of them that way again. Now they serve a utility purpose, and that's just cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment