Friday, May 27, 2011

Keep Calm and Carry On

Believe it or not, I'm a perfectionist. If you saw my bedroom or the way I dress every day, you might not think that, but it's true. When I'm truly invested in a task, I want it to be perfect.

Right this minute, I'm making the cupcakes that will be served at my baby shower tomorrow. (I know the mama-to-be isn't really supposed to do any work on her own baby shower, but that's just not my style.) I'm baking the cupcakes, making my own buttercream frosting from scratch, icing them, and finally decorating them. If any part of this goes wrong, I will be upset.

You might be thinking, 'Get a grip, Kellie. They're cupcakes.' Fair enough. But I'm convinced that perfectionism is a side effect of pregnancy. I want so much to be an ideal mother that it's only reasonable the feelings would spill over and I want to be an ideal baker as well.

I know there's no such thing as a perfect mom. Parenting is subjective and there's so many opportunities to screw up. The same as I have a living style, I know I'll have a mommy style as well.

Yesterday, my best friend, Kristen, brought me a book titled "I'M A PARENT?! A journal to ponder the unfathomable circumstance that I somehow have offspring even though I have no idea what I'm doing but it sure seems like everybody else does because they're not stinting on the advice as if I don't love my kid(s) which of course I do but the little bugger(s) are going to need therapy no matter what and in all honesty I couldn't adore them more but sometimes I think I'm going out of my mind with frustration and self-doubt." Yep, that's the title.

On each page, there's an anecdotal quote about parenting by everyone ranging from Benjamin Franklin to Bill Cosby as well as space to fill in "Why I'm a Less-Than-Perfect Parent Today." If you haven't caught on, I have a deep love of writing. As much as I may not want to record my inadequacies as they arise, I have a feeling this book will give me the chance to remind myself that parenting is a learn-as-you-go concept.

Still, I want to make the perfect cupcakes. What can I say? I'm an imperfect woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment