Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Baby Registry

The word "register" has never been an especially important word to me. I've registered for classes for the last six semesters. I registered to vote when I was 18. I've even operated a cash register. You get my point. It's not a fancy word. But now that I've discovered the joys of having a baby registry, nothing can squelch my excitement.

Yesterday afternoon, I visited Babies R' Us just to get the basic information about a baby registry. Before I knew what hit me, a nice man had handed me a scanning gun and I was off to the races.

I didn't actually register for many things in the store. Instead, my obsession transpires online. With a click of the mouse, I can register for any item. To add to my craze, I also have a handy checklist to make sure I don't forget anything. Granted, this checklist came from Babies R' Us, and since their highest priority is profit, they add a lot on there that you don't really want on the registry. Example: Why would I register for 'Thank You' cards? No guest wants to buy the token of gratitude that they can expect in the mail a week later.

After crossing off everything I know I don't want to register for, I've got a working list to build from. Last night, Roy said to me, "Kellie, you have months left in your pregnancy. You don't have to finish the registry tonight."

I think I replied with something to the effect of, "My mood changes at the drop of a hat and not a lot of things make me blindly happy any more, but this does. Let me have this!"

I know my registry doesn't have to be completed today, tomorrow, or really even this month, but I find great solace in picking out the things my baby girl needs. It gives me comfort to know that eventually, she'll be well provided for. Plus, there's nothing quite like the powerful feeling that comes with operating your own scanning gun.

If you want to see my registry or you're just curious about what goes into one, you can visit www.babiesrus.com or www.target.com and type in my name. Believe me, there's only one Kellie Doligale out there.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same obsession! I registered at Myregistry.com and had the urge to click on every item I saw. My husband told me that I should relax with how many items I was picking! It was just so simple to use that I got so carried away.

    ReplyDelete