Thursday, February 10, 2011

Wait Watcher

I'm not a patient girl by nature. Never have been. So it only seems natural that waiting for tomorrow afternoon to roll around is utterly painful.

In approximately 14 hours, at 2 p.m. tomorrow, I will be sitting in an ultrasound room learning the gender of my baby. I will be absolutely thrilled regardless of whether the nurse squeals that it's a boy or a girl, so it seems a little odd that I'm so worked up over this appointment. Allow me to explain...

Everything about this baby is a mystery to me. I don't know if he or she is a calm baby, an active baby, a smiley baby or even a fat baby! Knowing the gender will reveal something to me about this otherwise enigmatic being.

My last ultrasound was 10 weeks ago, and even though I felt my heart skip a dozen beats when I saw the baby, he or she was still an amorphous blob with a head attached. Tomorrow's images should reveal facial structures, arms, legs, feet, and finally, the hush-hush parts. The other night, I even researched how the doctor can tell the difference between a boy or a girl even when the baby is 20,000 leagues under my intestines. Believe it or not, it's pretty obvious- there's either boy parts or not.

Another intrigue of mine: the shopping dynamic. While I, like most women, enjoy shopping on occasion, I'm far from obsessed. I would rather go to Target and pick out a new t-shirt than go to the mall for a sequined miniskirt. Call it simple taste. Regardless, everyone keeps telling me that after tomorrow, I'll be able to shop for my little peanut. I'm assuming that means I can start drowning myself in pink or blue. But I do love knowing that after all this time of just perusing the baby aisles at whatever store I happen to wander into, now I can actually purchase something if it strikes my fancy.

I can't bring my brain to think about anything but this baby right now. After four months of doing absolutely everything together, tomorrow I'll finally know something about my omnipresent best friend.

So what do you think- boy or girl? I'll keep you posted!

P.S. If you have any interest in reading my editorial from today's student newspaper, click HERE

1 comment:

  1. We were eating dinner with Michael's family and I shared your big news with them - and Michael's dad (who is a geology professor at UK) said that reminded him that he read a wonderfully written article by a pregnant journalism senior that he suggested I pass along to you. I told him you wrote it. He said he really enjoyed it and wishes you the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete