Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mama Drama

On November 14, 2010, I found out I was pregnant. I had just turned 21 three weeks prior, and after the most important trip to the bathroom of my life, the entire world stopped turning. The knot in my throat made me feel like the tiny baby was growing in my esophagus. Still, I've decided to embrace motherhood with everything I have. Since that day, my entire family and most of my friends have learned the big news, and in the interest of keeping them and anyone else up to speed on my growth, hormones, breakdowns and musings, I started this blog.

So on this glorious first day of February, the discussion begins. I've had other blogs before, but I always seem to lose interest and my words cease to grace the World Wide Web. However, I have never cared about anything, ever, as much as I care about this baby. I always knew I wanted children, but I seem to have gotten started a lot sooner than expected. Armed with baby books, tons of advice and poor typing skills, I hope to share my pregnancy and beyond.

Let me bring you up to speed:
I'm still 21 years old. I'm less than a month into my last semester of college, and I share a room in an all-girls dorm on campus with my charming roommate. I'm a journalism major with a sarcastic streak, and to put it politely, I lack patience.
I'm also 17 weeks pregnant. Even though I'm enjoying every minute of my status as a vessel for another human life, my pregnancy has brought on some serious changes to my lifestyle:

I used to have a profound and firmly-established relationship with caffeine. I consumed a shameful number of milligrams on a daily basis, and the first guzzle of the miraculous substance each day brought with it a delightful high. I could also get away with not eating for a day, and my sleep schedule resembled that of a fruit bat. I know, I was a beacon of health. I also had fire engine-red hair.

These days, I doze off around midnight, every night, even if the room is brightly lit, the TV is on, or I'm on the phone. I eat just about everything I see, which is enjoyable minus the dent in my wallet from much more frequent trips to the grocery. I gave up caffeine, but I still enjoy the sporadic apple chai from Starbucks if it's been a long day. I dyed my hair the darkest shade of brown I could find in an effort to cover the red, and despite these alterations to my routines, I am blissfully happy that I get to take on the oldest profession in the world (motherhood, not prostitution).

One thing that hasn't changed about me at all: I have a lot to say. ;)

1 comment:

  1. Kellie, I love it! I'm totally subscribing/will be a loyal reader... I dedicate most mornings at work to reading blogs so this is a happy addition to my list. ;)

    I love and appreciate your humor which will no doubt make this a good way to start the day!

    Thanks for passing along the link!

    xoxo,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete