Monday, February 7, 2011

Flying by the Seat of My Maternity Pants

My very least favorite thing about being an adult: finances. I despise the notion of bills and budgets, and credit cards scare the living daylights out of me. For 21 years, I managed to be responsible for no one but myself, but now my entire world has turned upside down.

I've been reading my share of pregnancy/parenting magazines and books, many of which profess to have articles for the budget-conscious consumer. I'm calling a big "BS" on that one, because they really only cater to married families with budgets on steroids. I understand that college students expecting a surprise baby aren't their target markets, but can't I get an article about eating healthy without the promise of blowing my monthly cash on a bunch of organic nonsense? I want to know where I can find apple juice that won't rot my wallet or my teeth. Clearly, it was time to take matters into my tiny, obstinate hands.

I've developed a routine for getting my groceries and other necessities my way. I know that Meijer is the best place to go first because they sell most of my favorites at the most reasonable prices, and it's the only store that carries raspberry Pop Tarts and my favorite flavor of instant Asian noodles. Target is next, then Kroger, and if there's a few little things left, I visit the corner store on campus where I can use my student account money. The other important thing to remember is careful geographic planning so that the money I save doesn't get burnt up on gas.

I know my personal shopping preferences are relatively uninteresting, but my point is that no matter how many chapters or articles you read, pregnancy is about what works best for you. The whole process is such a unique experience, and while I respect older couples who have perfectly balanced checkbooks and entered baby world with preparedness, their way is not the only way. Pregnancy has forced me to appreciate each and every dollar, and I'm enjoying learning new ways to make a few extra...

After I dug through my entire wardrobe and forced myself to be honest about which things I would still wear after my midsection goes back to normal, I had a large box of clothes that were still in good condition. I loaded them into my trunk and took them to Plato's Closet, a consignment shop that buys and sells gently-worn clothing for teenagers and 20-somethings, and it was definitely worth the extra cash I got. The best thing was that Once Upon a Child was next door, so while the ladies at Plato's tallied up the net worth of the junk from my trunk, I got to browse around a well-priced baby land.

Pregnancy so far has been, without a doubt, the greatest learning experience of my life. By holding myself accountable for another tiny existence, I became more responsible in other areas of my life. While other people my age spend their cash on cheap liquor, concert tickets and one more pair of skinny jeans, I'm saving mine for diapers and a good car seat. Believe it or not, I prefer it that way.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if "awesome" is the right word, but awesome. You seem to pretty much have this thing down...but who's surprised? I mean honestly, if you don't take over the world, then this kid is definitely the next in...oh God, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE???

    ReplyDelete