Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gone to Never Never Land

I love a good exaggeration. Never one to be subtle, I've always made my thoughts well known. So it makes perfect sense that I would say things like "I will NEVER wear leggings as pants." Well, I stand corrected, in black maternity leggings, no less.

If pregnancy has taught me anything so far (aside from how to get away with not wearing a bra or how to maximize apple juice intake), it's that you should never say never. Cliche, I know, but bear with me.

Pregnancy is an awkward state of being. You trade in a strut for a waddle, a lacy push-up for a peach support bra, and nights out with friends until 3 a.m. for nights in with a carton of ice cream and a midnight bedtime. I'm not saying I was the coolest girl on the block before I got pregnant, but I tried to keep myself well put-together and socialized. That being said, I had very strict ideas about what I wanted to wear- always skinny jeans with a loose-fitting, low-cut v-neck t-shirt. These days, I'm rocking a slightly different style...

I used to see girls walking down the street wearing leggings as pants and I swore that I would never do that. "Why would they want anyone to be able to see every single contour of their legs?" I thought. Now I get it. Leggings are like a sports bra for your gams. They conform to your body, and they keep you warm without smothering your skin. They also don't look completely hideous when you're blinded by how comfortable they are.

My leggings are complete with a maternity belly panel so they hike all the way up to the top of my "waist" just under my chest. Even baby gets to enjoy their comfort, or at least that's what I like to tell myself. In reality, baby is probably laughing at me for thinking leggings are super comfy when he or she is chilling in a weightless waterbed bubble. Either way, I don't know what I would do without the item of clothing I once condemned. Props to my mom for insisting that I try them on in the maternity store!

All that being said, I have to wonder what I'll find myself wearing to class in the coming weeks. A Snuggie, perhaps?

1 comment: