Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Mind Your Manners

Lately I've been considering things that will be drastically different between my childhood and the way I envision my daughter's. Let's be honest- cartoons in the 90s were way better than anything animated on TV these days. When I was little, Disney released "Aladdin," "The Lion King," and "Mulan," and the first "Toy Story" movie. Now they're reverting to the standard princess story lines and Andy is all grown up. I was also taught cursive in elementary school, not typing.

Granted, I wish someone had taught me how to type properly because even at 21, I still chicken peck at the keyboard. I do know, however, that I want my daughter to learn one thing to the same extent that I did: manners.

I can recall rolling my eyes when one of my parents reminded me to use manners on the occasion that I neglected them. But now, I'm extremely thankful they instilled those values in me. I never forget to say "please" and "thank you." When someone asks how I'm doing, I reply, "I'm doing well, thank you. How are you?" I hold the door for people with children, or anybody for that matter. I didn't realize how important these things were when I was a kid. Now I get it.

People remember someone with good manners. Showing respect is the best way to get it back. I can honestly say that manners have never failed me, and the older I get, the more I pay attention to them in others.

This could be my hormones talking, but lately, other peoples' bad manners have been driving me up the wall. When I hold the door for a girl in my dorm and she doesn't bother to offer thanks, I wish for the briefest moment that I hadn't bothered. I can't stand it when I'm ordering food, at someone nearby says to the waiter, "Gimme a...." instead of "May I have..." I've worked in the food service industry. They're not afraid to spit in your lunch.

Today I was walking to class when a guy in his car tossed his cigarette butt out the window and onto the sidewalk while he sat in traffic. I was so tempted to pick it up, toss it back in his car and say, "Excuse me, you dropped this." My dad says that's a good way to get beat up, and obviously I didn't do it, but c'mon people. Don't toss your butts onto the sidewalk of a non-smoking campus.

I don't expect my daughter to curtsy, but I do intend to teach her a firm handshake and polite conversation. I've never heard someone say, "That girl's manners were TOO good. She needs to stop." So go ahead, baby girl, watch the crappy cartoons and don't bother with cursive, but please always remember to say "thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment