Wednesday, February 16, 2011

So embarrassing...!

I love being pregnant, but I would be lying if I said it hasn't been without its share of awkward, uncomfortable, and downright humiliating moments. Since I'm all about laughing at yourself and taking life as it comes, I thought I would share the top five most notable embarrassments from my pregnancy so far. Hope you get a giggle at my expense.

1. Size 0 skinny jeans are unforgiving if you gain approximately 1.5 pounds. I used to slide them on every day and walk out the door with no problem, and while they still fit over my legs and hips, my waist is another thing entirely. Simple solution: unbutton them. For weeks now, whenever I sit down for an extended period of time, I unbutton and unzip my pants and casually drape my shirt over the opening. No one notices.

But you know what they do notice? When you stand up and walk out of the room without re-buttoning. Yes, my friends, I have walked out into the hall of one of the busiest buildings at the University of Kentucky with unbuttoned pants. Apparently everyone else is a lot more observant than me because I didn't do anything about it until I took note of people glancing in the direction of my crotch. Woops.

2. Everybody farts. Pregnancy just means you fart more often and with less control. And you know what I keep reading? It only gets worse. That's all I have to say on that subject.

3. As Roy has seen fit to discuss on his blog, my tailbone is often a source of pain and discomfort. Anyone will tell you that the best cure for an aching back is a massage, but this just happens to be my lower back. Quite low, actually. Yes, I request "butt" massages, but I can swallow my pride on that one because my daughter is apparently trying to make my tailbone just fall off. Someone has to hold it on!

4. The other day, I had just left my room to go indulge a craving. That craving was just about one mile away. Barely out of the building, I ran into a friend of mine who asked me where I was headed off to. After I told her, she looked at me dumbfounded and said, "You're walking all the way to McDonald's for fries?" All I could say was yes.

Pregnancy cravings are insatiable and demanding. I have no shame in taking on a long walk for french fries, but it's just a little embarrassing when someone calls you out on your own zeal for cheap, fried cholesterol.

5. Visits to the doctor's office so far have been bearable. I didn't enjoy having blood taken from my arm, but I clenched my jaw and got over it for the sake of baby girl and her health. I'm even getting used to peeing in a cup once or twice a month. But you know what never becomes less uncomfortable? A pelvic exam.

The very first time Roy came to the doctor with me was to hear the baby's heartbeat. This was long before we knew she was a girl. When I went to the nurse's room for her to check my weight and blood pressure, she told me that since it had been a year since my last pelvic exam, the good doc might as well go ahead and knock that out today.

So I laid there, feet in the stirrups and fists clenched, while my doctor did whatever she does down there. Only a thin white paper sheet stood between Roy and my discomfort. I'm sure my face contorted into all kinds of expressions for him to see while I was probed. I guess I should get over it since all modesty flies out the window in just a few short months.


That's all I have for now, but I'm only about halfway finished with this pregnancy. I'm sure that as I get bigger, my embarrassments will only become more frequent and profound. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Well I hope She doesn't literally break your tailbone like Rowan did to me. Ouch!

    Kellie I can't believe you are already half way there! Where did the time go?

    ReplyDelete